Bipolar disorders are a common mental health disorder affecting over 40 million people in the US yearly. What causes bipolar disorder differs for each person and depends on their genetics, family history, and other factors, including substance abuse and certain medical conditions. Bipolar disorder includes manic and depressive episodes that can cause significant problems at work and home. Fortunately, treating bipolar disorder is possible through a mental health treatment program that utilizes behavioral therapy and medical support.
Arkview Recovery supports people struggling with bipolar disorder, substance use disorder, and other mental health illnesses. We take the time to build trust and open communication with each patient so they feel comfortable opening up and talking about their thoughts and emotions. Patients will participate in group and private therapy sessions led by a certified behavioral therapist while receiving medication to minimize any symptoms that are getting in the way of recovery. If you or a loved one is struggling with bipolar disorder, call 717.744.0756 or fill out our online form today, and one of our team members will respond within 24 hours.
What Is Bipolar Disorder?
Bipolar disorder is a mental health disorder characterized by severe mood swings that can include depressive or manic episodes or mixed episodes that include symptoms of both in some cases. A person experiencing a manic episode will appear overly talkative and highly energetic, while a depressive episode has typical symptoms of depression, hopelessness, and a lack of energy.
Several types of bipolar disorders can impact your mental health and well-being:
- Bipolar disorder I — involves manic episodes that can include feeling abnormally upbeat or hyperactive, an exaggerated sense of well-being, poor decision-making, and racing thoughts. Hypomania, a less severe type of mania or a depressive episode, can follow manic episodes. In some cases, patients may experience psychosis with this type of disorder.
- Bipolar disorder II — This type includes episodes of depressive disorder followed by hypomania but rarely causes full mania. Depressive episode symptoms include feeling sad or worthless, losing interest in favorite activities, a lack of energy, mental confusion, and suicidal thoughts or behavior.
- Cyclothymic disorder – Patients with this type of bipolar disorder will experience periods of hypomania and depressive episode of at least two years (one year in children).
At Arkview Recovery, we have experience treating all types of bipolar disorder through our accredited treatment programs using a combination of therapeutic and medical support.
What Causes Bipolar Disorder?
Treating bipolar disorder and other types of mental health disorders is complicated due to the causes and symptoms that are unique to the individual. Determining the cause behind the disorder requires a deep understanding of a person’s background, family history, and other factors.
The common causes of bipolar disorder include:
- Genetics — Children whose parents or siblings are diagnosed with bipolar disorder are more susceptible to struggling with the same disorder. Scientists are working on identifying the genes responsible for this disorder to identify someone more likely to experience it quickly.
- Brain chemistry – An imbalance in brain chemistry is thought to be a key contributor to bipolar disorder. Medical research has found structural abnormalities in the prefrontal cortex in patients with bipolar disorder, where the subgenus portion of the anterior cingulate cortex is significantly smaller than in those without this disorder.
- Other causes – Research has proven that bipolar disorder can be caused by substance use disorder and certain medical conditions, such as Cushing’s disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, and traumatic brain injuries.
Bipolar disorders are treatable through an accredited treatment program using a combination of behavioral and holistic therapy and medical support. This multi-pronged approach is very effective and can significantly improve a person’s health and happiness.
Arkview Recovery Center: Mental Health Treatment for Bipolar Disorder
What causes bipolar disorder? At Arkview Recovery, we will answer any questions you have about what is bipolar disorder and the common causes behind it. During admissions, we will run a full assessment to determine the best treatment program for the severity of your symptoms. We offer a full range of therapy programs that include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Family therapy
- Group and individual therapy
Call 717.744.0756 now to discover all the benefits of enrolling in our mental health treatment facility.