Alcohol is the most commonly used addictive substance, and there are many societal situations where drinking is considered appropriate. This can make alcohol one of the most challenging addictions to overcome. Most people need help to recover from addiction, which is why choosing to seek alcohol addiction treatment can be a wise choice. Often, alcohol detox treatment is the first step in a person’s recovery journey. Learning more about alcohol detox treatment can help you feel more confident about recovery and also allow you to make informed decisions about your recovery care.
What is Detox?
Detox is a treatment process that helps patients get through the withdrawal process as safely and comfortably as possible with the help of medications. Often, going through withdrawal is the most frightening part for people who would like to stop drinking. A detox program can allow you to get through the most difficult initial stages of recovery and set you up for success as you progress through treatment.
The Benefits of Detox for Recovery from Alcohol Addiction
Utilizing the services of an alcohol detox program can have many benefits to your recovery process. Some of these are:
- Help navigating withdrawal – Alcohol withdrawal can be very uncomfortable. A detox treatment program allows patients to withdraw in a supportive environment with the help of medications.
- Safety – Patients undergoing a detox program are monitored by medical and care staff to ensure they are tolerating withdrawal well and in good health.
- Transitioning made easier – Detox programs are often the first step on the journey through recovery care. Patients who complete a detox program usually transition into a longer, comprehensive treatment program to continue their recovery journey.
- Supportive environment – People new to recovery need a supportive and recovery-focused environment to stabilize and get on the right track with their recovery journey. Detox programs offer this, especially during the critical time of withdrawal.
After Detox: What Comes Next?
Even though detox can be a good choice as the first step in treatment, it is only the beginning of your recovery journey. Some of the next steps in alcohol addiction treatment are:
- Residential treatment – In residential treatment, patients stay at the treatment center full-time as they recover. This allows them to discover and process the root causes of addiction in their life and learn new ways to cope that do not involve substances or alcohol.
- Intensive outpatient treatment – In an intensive outpatient program, patients do not stay at the treatment center, instead returning to their homes at night. Every day, patients attend programs at a treatment center for several hours. This is often a transitional step for those who have completed residential treatment.
- Outpatient therapy – Those patients who have ‘graduated’ from more intensive levels of treatment may also continue with outpatient therapy and groups every week.
- Support groups – Groups like Alcoholics Anonymous and other peer support groups can offer a strong support network for people who want to maintain their recovery as they return to work, school, and their normal daily life.
Overcoming alcohol addiction can be difficult, but it’s possible with the proper help.
Arkview Recovery: Life Beyond Addiction
Each patient receives an individualized treatment plan at our treatment center near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. This allows us to provide our patients with the kind of treatment they need to help them overcome addiction and maintain their recovery over time. Addiction can be a destructive and overwhelming experience, but the good news is that recovery from addiction is possible with the proper support and care. If you or someone you care about has been struggling with addiction to alcohol, reach out to us today at 717.744.0756 or through our online form.