Anxiety is a common mental health disorder that affects tens of millions of adults each year and can significantly impact a person’s physical and mental health. Fortunately, several types of anxiety activities for adults can ease anxiety symptoms. This can include group and individual activities that you can do at home, the office, or at a favorite park. Finding an anxiety treatment program is the best way to learn which exercises are best for treating anxiety.
At Arkview Recovery Center, we work with men and women from all walks of life who are struggling with anxiety, depression, or other types of mental health disorders. Our programs are tailored to your needs and combine behavioral and holistic therapy and medical support for a well-rounded treatment experience. You will work with a therapist in group and private therapy sessions to build new coping skills that promote better mental health. To learn more about our anxiety treatment program, call 717.744.0756 or send us a message online today, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.
Treating Anxiety in Adults
There are several healthy therapy activities for adults with anxiety that they will learn while participating in an anxiety treatment program. The program teaches them how to recognize triggering situations and stop their symptoms from worsening. Instead of relying on drugs or alcohol, they learn healthy activities such as deep breathing exercises, meditation, and other mindfulness techniques for reducing anxiety symptoms.
Other benefits of treating anxiety in adults include:
- Develop a better understanding of the reasons behind their anxiety
- Learn how addiction is related and how it is both a cause and a symptom of anxiety
- Teaches patients specific communication activities for adults suffering from anxiety
- Improves their general outlook on life and the world around them
- Teaches life skills that promote healthy living and stronger mental health
At Arkview Recovery, you will work closely with a behavioral therapist who will show you healthy ways to cope with your anxiety. We are a full-service treatment facility with residential and outpatient treatment programs that can treat a wide range of anxieties and any co-occurring conditions.
5 Anxiety Activities for Adults
During your treatment program, you will participate in several anxiety activities for adults to help you find the ones that work best for you. Some people will discover weight lifting and exercise as a great way to ease their anxiety, while others will do better with meditation, gardening, or creating music.
Here are five therapy activities for adults with anxiety:
- Communication activities for adults suffering from anxiety — Learning to communicate and hear what others say is a learned skill that not everyone has. Role-playing activities can teach patients how to express their feelings better and see how their actions and behaviors affect loved ones.
- Exercising — A quick 20-30 minute home workout with or without weights can burn off tension and reduce stress. At work, taking a five-minute walk around the office can lower stress and prevent anxiety from worsening. It is a natural stress reducer, improves your mental and physical health, and promotes a more restful night’s sleep.
- Journaling — Writing about the day’s events is another excellent way to build coping skills and work through difficult emotions. You can write about what you did to ease your anxiety during the day and rationally look at your actions and their effects. Many people with anxiety use poetry, music, or other types of creative writing to cope with their symptoms.
- Mindfulness techniques — Meditation, yoga, and deep breathing exercises are excellent activities that help patients focus on the present moment. There are techniques for calming nerves and racing thoughts right before an important meeting or test and calming activities to help prepare you for the day and get a better night’s sleep.
- Group hike/nature walks — Sunlight is a natural antidepressant, and walking with friends is an excellent way to socialize and exercise. Find a favorite trail close to home, be more adventurous, and choose a challenging hill to climb. Hiking, or just being outdoors, naturally reduces stress and anxiety and helps you focus on the present.
There are various activities to treat your anxiety, and you will need to find the ones that work best for your individual symptoms. Talking with a behavioral therapist can help you find which activities are most effective in easing your symptoms.
Choose Arkview Recovery Center for Our Anxiety Treatment Program
At Arkview Recovery, our accredited treatment center supports individuals struggling with social anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, or other types of anxiety in a safe environment. We take the time to build trust and open communication so you feel comfortable opening up about the feelings or events that are causing anxiety. At the same time, you will participate in several anxiety activities for adults that will benefit all aspects of your life.
If you need help getting control of your anxiety, reach out to our caring team today at 717.744.0756 and start living your best life.