Treating addiction requires multiple approaches to address all aspects of this treatable mental health disorder. A typical treatment program will include group and individual therapy sessions. In group therapy, five group therapy stages will aid in the recovery process and allow patients to reach their recovery goals confidently. A group therapy program can show those in therapy that they are not alone in their struggles and how addiction affects all men and women equally.
At Arkview Recovery Center, our treatment programs combine group and individual therapy and medical support to create a more effective recovery experience with fewer risks of relapse. Our team works closely with each patient to learn what led to the addiction. We then teach them valuable coping skills to help them work through their problems healthily. If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction and ready for a positive change, call 717.744.0756 today to learn about the benefits of enrolling in our group therapy program.
What Is Group Therapy?
Group therapy is an integral part of addiction recovery. It gives people a chance to talk with their peers in a safe environment where they can discuss their struggles and triumphs and gain valuable insight from other life perspectives. This type of behavioral therapy allows patients to practice coping and communication skills, participate in fun group activities and games that promote a healthy lifestyle and form supportive relationships with their peers.
Behavioral therapists will organize different activities and group discussions in various settings. Group therapy can include a hike to a beautiful vista where you can sit and talk with others, art or music therapy, role-playing, and other activities that build confidence in maintaining sobriety and managing feelings and emotions. Group therapy also increases accountability; the more you bond with your peers, the more they will encourage you to stay committed to your recovery.
At Arkview Recovery, we understand the value of group therapy and how it can benefit the recovery process. Our mission is to provide you with everything you need to recover safely and reach your goal of lifelong sobriety.
Understanding the Different Group Therapy Stages
Developing a supportive group therapy program requires specific steps to ensure everyone in the group benefits from the session. Therapists and patients must work together to create an atmosphere of trust and open communication where everyone feels heard and understood.
Here are the five group therapy stages of treating addiction and other mental health disorders:
- Forming – This first stage involves the therapist discussing the goals of group therapy and the activities that patients will participate in during the sessions. Each person will have a chance to introduce themselves, talk about the reasons they are in therapy, and meet others in the group.
- Storming – During this stage, therapists work to establish cohesion within the group and resolve any personality conflicts that can impede the recovery process. They encourage patients to listen, understand, and respect others in the group. Group therapy only works when everyone is respectful to all within the group.
- Norming – At this stage, patients start sharing their stories and listening to feedback from their peers. The dynamic created in the first two stages allows patients to feel comfortable opening up and talking about their struggles without feeling ashamed or fear of being ridiculed.
- Performing – Patients work together to enact real change in each other. They will participate in different activities and role-playing games to empathize with others and accept individual differences.
- Adjourning – As group therapy nears completion, each patient’s achievements are recognized and celebrated. Therapists work to resolve any lingering issues and discuss continuing treatment in group and private sessions as needed.
Understanding the different group therapy stages can help prepare you for the treatment experience. By knowing what to expect, you will feel more confident about the experience and more likely to succeed and reach your recovery goals.
Get on the Road to Recovery With Group Therapy at Arkview Recovery
What is group therapy? At Arkview Recovery Center, we will review your questions about group therapy and other aspects of your addiction treatment program. We take the time to form a close relationship with each patient. This allows us to understand the root cause of the addiction and begin authentic healing.
We are a full-service addiction treatment center that offers a wide range of treatment options that include:
- Drug and alcohol detox
- Residential treatment program
- Partial hospitalization program
- Intensive outpatient program
- Separate men’s and women’s rehab
- Medication-assisted treatment
- Group and individual therapy
- Family therapy
Take that critical first step toward a better life today by calling 717.744.0756 or filling out our online contact form, and one of our helpful team members will respond shortly.