What is recreational therapy, and how can it aid in treating substance abuse and other mental health disorders? It is a form of holistic therapy that uses different activities to improve a person’s mood and physical health. Recreational therapy includes anything from arts and crafts, video or board games, yoga, running, or other fun activities. Combining these and other healthy activities with an intensive outpatient program creates a better treatment experience and improves retention in the program.
At Arkview Recovery, we work with people from all walks of life struggling with depression, substance abuse, or other mental health illnesses. Behavioral therapists work closely with each patient to build a strong relationship, so they feel comfortable opening up and talking about the things that bother them. We use a combination of behavioral and recreational therapy and medication to minimize any withdrawals, cravings, or other symptoms. If you or a loved one is struggling with their mental health, call 717.744.0756 or send us a message online today, and one of our staff will respond as soon as possible.
What Is Recreational Therapy?
Recreational therapy is an excellent way for people to connect with others and improve their mood, concentration, and overall quality of life. In addiction recovery, recreational therapy shows patients how to increase their happiness through activities they enjoy and can continue doing long after therapy is complete.
The types of activities patients can participate in through recreational therapy include:
- Arts and crafts
- Video and board games
- Playing team sports
- Playing with animals
- Singing/writing music
- Creative writing
At Arkview Recovery, we know the value of playing and participating in fun activities and how it can improve the recovery experience. Patients will participate in several group activities with their peers while continuing individual therapy sessions in a safe and private facility.
The Benefits of Recreational Therapy
Recreational therapy has many benefits for treating addiction, depression, and other conditions. It introduces patients to new activities and interests that can improve physical health and helps keep them motivated to continue therapy. Recreational therapy has been very beneficial in assisting patients to recover using the activities they enjoy the most.
Some of the additional benefits of recreational therapy include the following:
- Improves self-esteem – Recreational therapy can boost confidence and self-esteem through various activities like creating art, singing, dancing, and other forms of self-expression. These methods are proven to be effective in reducing symptoms of depression and anxiety and reducing any cravings for drugs or alcohol.
- Creates bonding opportunities – Forming healthy relationships is essential to the recovery process. Patients can bond while playing team sports, playing in a band, or performing a play or skit for the group.
- Increases desire to complete therapy – The more pleasurable an experience is, the stronger the desire to repeat the activity. Instead of craving drugs or alcohol, patients replace that craving with a desire to stay healthy and continue their therapy.
- Improves physical health – Yoga, running, swimming, and other physical activities can rebuild muscle mass and improve flexibility. Physical exercise is crucial in recovery as it can speed up cleansing your body of all the toxins from drugs and alcohol.
- Increases likelihood of staying sober – As patients learn more about the benefits of recreational therapy and its effects, they are more likely to continue with these activities. Boredom and isolation are critical contributors to relapse, and these activities are excellent ways to prevent that.
Recreational therapy is very beneficial when combined with behavioral therapy and other types of treatment for depression, PTSD, or substance abuse. It can show people the power within them to heal and how they can use their favorite activities to promote a healthy lifestyle.
Recreational Therapy Near Me? Try Arkview Recovery
What is recreational therapy? At Arkview Recovery, our recreational therapy program allows patients to use art, music, creative writing, adventure/nature walks, and other holistic activities to improve their recovery experience. In addition to behavioral therapy, patients with severe symptoms will receive medication to reduce withdrawals, cravings, and feelings of depression or anxiety.
When searching for recreational therapy near me, click on the link for Arkview Recovery or call 717.744.0756 today to discover all of the benefits of our recreational therapy program.