Drug and alcohol addiction is one of the leading causes of divorce and broken families in the US. It breaks up millions of couples and can cause serious harm to children’s development and ability to form healthy relationships. Restoring relationships is necessary to promote lifelong recovery and give patients the motivation they need to reach their recovery goals. Even when family relationships are the cause of addiction, a family therapy program is essential for rebuilding families and reducing the risk of addiction in children.
At Arkview Recovery, we help individuals and their families who are struggling with addiction to alcohol, opioid pain medication, heroin, or other substances. Our accredited treatment facility uses the latest techniques for treating addiction and restoring family relationships. Patients and their families will participate in family counseling to understand the harm addiction causes to the individual and the family. For more information about our family therapy program and what it can do for you, call 717.744.0756 today to speak with one of our caring team members.
Why Family Therapy Is Important
Family, whether by blood or bond, is essential to your life. While some families build loving connections and support their life choices, others need help understanding each other and their needs. Some families are genetically susceptible to addiction due to past substance abuse, or lack the empathy and communication skills they need to express themselves properly. In either case, restoring family relationships is an important step in addiction recovery.
Some of the typical family issues that can lead to addiction and broken relationships include:
- Family history of drug or alcohol abuse, depression, or other mental health disorders
- Emotional, physical, or sexual abuse from family members
- A lack of open and honest communication between parents and children
- A bitter divorce
- Homophobic or transphobic family members
At Arkview Recovery Center, we welcome men and women who want help with their recovery in our safe and discreet treatment center. During admissions, we will go over all aspects of your recovery, why family therapy is essential, and how it can increase your chances of maintaining lifelong sobriety.
Restoring Relationships After Addiction Through Family Counseling
Addiction is a treatable illness through a combination of behavioral therapy and medication to minimize the symptoms that interfere with the recovery process. Your family is invited into the recovery process to work through the issues fracturing the family unit and learn more about addiction’s destructive properties.
Why should parents, spouses, siblings, and children participate in family counseling during addiction recovery?
- All family members will have a chance to talk privately with a behavioral therapist to vent any frustrations or anger caused by the addiction. They will also learn about the harm addiction causes to the individual and their family and what it will take to begin healing.
- In a safe and secure environment, family members will discuss the issues that led to the addiction as long as the interaction does not cause further emotional harm. They will learn to effectively communicate their feelings without causing negative emotions or reactions.
- Therapists will identify the areas within the family unit causing problems and develop coping skills to address the issues.
Families will work together to develop healthy conflict-resolution skills and problem-solving strategies that can be used to get through any situation they may face.
- Therapists will use various activities and role-playing games so that family members can begin rebuilding trust and learn how to communicate and listen more effectively.
Restoring relationships is an important step in the recovery process. It can restore the family structure and make it stronger than ever while teaching everyone about the dangers of addiction and how it can destroy families.
Choose Arkview Recovery’s Family Therapy Program
At Arkview Recovery, we include family therapy in our addiction treatment programs to help rebuild the family unit and create a healthy home environment. When you arrive at our facility, we will run a full assessment to determine the right program for the severity of your symptoms. This can include family therapy, where everyone will have a chance to talk with a therapist and learn how to be a part of the recovery process.
If you or a family member is struggling with addiction, call 717.744.0756 or send us a question using our online form today, and we will get back to you ASAP.