How long do anxiety disorders last? The answer is different for each person and depends on several factors. Anxiety is a common mental health disorder that affects nearly one in five adults yearly and comes with various symptoms and severity. While everyone will experience mild forms of anxiety throughout their lives, some people will experience severe symptoms that can cause fear, agitation, anger, and other emotions and physical sensations. A mental health treatment program can teach individuals how to cope with their anxiety and prevent future panic attacks.
At Arkview Recovery Center, our accredited, full-service treatment facility provides comprehensive treatment programs for anxiety disorders, substance use disorders, and other treatable conditions. Our discreet treatment center is centrally-located and available to help individuals in Pittsburgh, Washington D.C., and surrounding areas. We use a combination of behavioral and holistic therapies along with medication to reduce any problematic symptoms. If you or a loved one is struggling with anxiety and ready for a fundamental change, call 717.744.0756 for more information about our mental health treatment facility.
What are Anxiety Disorders?
When dealing with a stressful situation, your body releases adrenaline and other chemicals that are a part of a fight or flight response that everyone has. In some people, the response system overreacts and causes extreme feelings that can cause a significant disruption in their lives.
Typical symptoms of anxiety disorders include hyperventilation, increased heart rate, tremblings, mental confusion, fear, uncertainty, insomnia, and difficulty controlling emotions. Several types of anxiety disorders can negatively impact a person’s life:
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Panic disorder
- Social anxiety disorder
- Separation anxiety
- Selective mutism
At Arkview Recovery, our team has experience treating all types of anxiety disorders through our residential and outpatient treatment programs. We take the time to get to know each patient and their symptoms so we can treat the disorder and any corresponding addiction or other symptoms.
How Long Do Anxiety Disorders Last?
Anxiety disorders can last for several months to years, and patients can experience frequent panic attacks and severe symptoms if they do not get help for their disorder. Fortunately, several treatment options can teach patients how to manage their symptoms and triggers and prevent future attacks.
Determining how long an anxiety disorder lasts depends on how the person treats the condition. Those who self-medicate and don’t talk with a behavioral therapist will struggle with their symptoms much longer than someone who enrolls in an anxiety treatment program. Here are some of the best methods of treating anxiety disorders and decreasing how long they last:
- Behavioral therapy – Cognitive-behavioral therapy is one of the most effective treatment methods for reducing anxiety’s impact on a person’s life. Therapists work privately with each patient to understand their background and the unique causes behind the disorder. They then teach patients how to cope with those feelings without causing negative behavior or cravings for drugs or alcohol.
- Medication-assisted treatment – Using medication can make the recovery process much easier, especially if they have formed a dependence or addiction to drugs or alcohol. Medical staff will administer medications and watch each patient for any adverse reactions. They will adjust their medication throughout the program and begin tapering off as symptoms diminish.
- Family therapy – An essential part of the recovery process will include your parents, spouse, and any children. Anxiety disorders can tear apart families and make children susceptible to the same disorder. They will talk with a therapist to better understand their symptoms and causes and learn how to support their recovery by creating a stable and sober living environment.
If you ask yourself how long do anxiety disorders last, it is time to talk to a professional therapist who can treat your anxiety using proven therapeutic techniques.
Get Help for Your Anxiety Disorder at Arkview Recovery Center
At Arkview Recovery, we support people who are struggling with anxiety, depression, substance abuse, or other mental health disorders. We offer a full range of treatment options that give patients the skills and confidence to manage their symptoms and prevent future panic attacks. Our treatment programs include the following:
- Drug and alcohol detox
- Residential treatment program
- Partial hospitalization program
- Intensive outpatient program
- Medication-assisted treatment
To discover all the benefits of our anxiety disorder treatment program, call 717.744.0756 or send us a message using our online form, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.