Many people view group therapy in a negative light. They feel embarrassed and ashamed to share their struggles with others, which can keep them from finding the help they need through an addiction treatment facility. Several group therapy techniques can benefit their recovery and show them that group therapy can be a very positive experience. A group therapy program can open their eyes to how addiction affects each person differently and understand how others deal with this treatable disease.
At Arkview Recovery, we help men and women struggling with addiction or other mental health disorders using proven group therapy techniques for adults. Group therapy is just one aspect of an effective addiction treatment program. Patients will attend individual therapy to work on behavioral issues and develop coping skills to practice with their peers during group therapy. If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction, call 717.744.0756 today for more information about our group therapy program.
Why Are Group Therapy Techniques Used?
While there is no cure for addiction, several types of therapies and programs can work to manage a person’s addiction and help them lead positive and productive lives. Because addiction is a mental health disease and can have several potential causes, each person’s treatment needs to be custom to their symptoms. It requires various forms of treatment that often include individual and group therapy programs.
There are many group therapy techniques for adults that can treat a number is disorders, including:
- Substance use disorder
- Eating disorders
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
At Arkview Recovery, we use various group therapy techniques to help our patients practice coping skills and build their confidence in maintaining their sobriety. Patients will learn coping skills that can benefit their recovery during private therapy and practice those skills with their peers during our group therapy program.
3 Positive Group Therapy Techniques for Addiction Recovery
Group therapy can be very beneficial in helping men and women struggling with addiction and other mental health disorders. It gives patients a chance to see that they are not alone in their struggles and how others cope with their symptoms and cravings.
Here are three positive group therapy techniques used in addiction treatment that can benefit your recovery:
- Cognitive-behavioral groups – Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) helps patients understand where their negative thoughts are coming from and how to change them. Group therapy gives patients a chance to hear how others cope with their addiction and their techniques to maintain their sobriety.
- Interpersonal groups – Patients work on building their communication and social skills while therapists monitor their interactions with others. They learn how beneficial a healthy relationship can be and how the members of your group therapy will become a part of your support network after completing your treatment.
- Skills development groups – Patients will develop the life skills they lack, such as healthy eating, meditation, and other beneficial skills for their recovery.
Arkview Recovery Center: Helping Patients Through Positive Group Therapy Techniques for Adults
At Arkview Recovery, we provide compassionate group therapy techniques for men and women ready for a positive change in their lives. When you first arrive at our facility, therapists and medical staff will perform a complete evaluation of your physical and mental health and the severity of your addiction to create an effective treatment plan for you. Your addiction treatment program will include various therapies, such as:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Individual therapy
- Group therapy
- Family education program
To learn more about our group therapy techniques for adults and how they can benefit your recovery, call 717.744.0756 today to speak with our compassionate staff.