Addiction is a mental health disease that requires medication to ease withdrawal symptoms and allow for a healthy recovery. Men and women who choose to quit without help put themselves at greater risk of relapse and overdose if they abuse the same amount or more. Pharmacotherapy is essential for those with a serious dependence on drugs or alcohol and can safely get them through their withdrawal symptoms. A pharmacotherapy treatment center combines behavioral therapies with medications for a more effective recovery process.
At Arkview Recovery Center, we help men and women struggling with substance abuse who are ready to stop letting their addiction rule their lives. Our behavioral therapists and medical staff work together to create an addiction treatment program that simultaneously addresses the physical and mental aspects of addiction. Patients gain valuable coping skills to maintain their sobriety long after treatment has ended. Call 717.744.0756 today if you or a loved one is struggling with addiction and need help getting through their withdrawals.
What Is Pharmacotherapy?
Pharmacotherapy provides medication management for patients who struggle with addiction while participating in a residential or outpatient addiction treatment program. Patients will work with medical staff who will administer medications and monitor their reactions for any adverse side effects. Medications and dosage can vary depending on the severity of the addiction and the patient’s physical and mental health.
Patients participate in behavioral therapy while receiving medication to reduce withdrawals and cravings. Withdrawal symptoms can vary in severity and depend on the length of abuse and amounts taken. Common withdrawal symptoms can include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Muscle aches
- Delirium tremens
- Sexual disfunction
At Arkview Recovery, we understand that no two addiction cases are the same. We work with each patient to determine the seriousness of their addiction and which therapies and treatment will benefit them the most. Treatment programs can include pharmacotherapy, behavioral therapy, and other holistic therapies and programs.
3 Benefits of Pharmacotherapy Treatment
There are many benefits to enrolling in an addiction treatment program that includes pharmacotherapy treatment alongside behavioral therapies. Patients who participate in pharmacotherapy are more likely to remain in treatment which greatly improves their survival rate and ability to lead productive and healthy lives.
Here are three additional benefits of pharmacotherapy treatment:
- A reduction in withdrawal symptoms and cravings – Medications work by activating the same opioid receptors that release a flood of dopamine and other feel-good endorphins. Depending on the medication, it either fully or partially blocks dopamine release and breaks your body’s dependence on the substance. Over several weeks, symptoms will diminish, as will the need for the medications.
- A better understanding of how addiction affects the body – Patients learn what addiction does to the brain and central nervous system and why it is so difficult to quit. They learn the difference between dependence and addiction while developing coping skills to form healthy ways to process their feelings or any traumatic event that led to the addiction.
- Build confidence and self-esteem – Addiction can kill a person’s confidence and self-esteem. As withdrawal symptoms diminish, patients begin to think clearly and realize the power they have to change their ways and build a new sober life.
Choose Arkview Recovery Center for Our Pharmacotherapy and Behavioral Therapy Programs
At Arkview Recovery, we give men and women a real chance at recovery through our addiction treatment programs. When you first arrive at our private facility, therapists and medical staff will complete a full evaluation of your health and the severity of the addiction. We develop a tailored treatment program that can include medication management and behavioral therapies from this information. We offer a full range of addiction treatment programs, including:
- Drug and alcohol detox
- Pharmacotherapy treatment program
- Residential treatment program
- Partial hospitalization program
- Intensive outpatient program
There is no need to struggle alone if you want help with your addiction recovery. Call 717.744.0756 today or fill out our online form to begin receiving all of the benefits from our addiction treatment program.