Men have a higher rate of addiction than women and are more likely to abuse illicit drugs at some point in their life. Most men won’t seek help from a treatment center because they don’t want to appear weak in front of women. A men’s rehab program can help when struggling to keep up with work and family life becomes too much. When addiction takes over, and you need help, a men’s rehab program can help you when other coed treatment programs have failed.
At Arkview Recovery Center, our men’s rehab program focuses on the common issues shared by men struggling with addiction, like childhood trauma and expectations of male masculinity. If you need help with addiction and want to find a men-only rehab program, call 717.744.0756 today to speak with our staff about our men’s rehab program.
The Importance of Men’s Rehab
In today’s society, many men feel a need to maintain an appearance of strength and fortitude. This can lead to a build-up of stress and an unwillingness to open up about their problems. Instead of seeking help, they use drugs and alcohol to cope with their feelings. Some of the issues men impacted by addiction may face that may lead to addiction include:
- Gender identity
- Childhood trauma
- Peer pressure
- Relationship pressure
- Inability to express emotions due to social conditioning
Maintaining a strong appearance can hinder recovery efforts in a coed treatment environment. Some men and women, especially those impacted by society’s gender roles, cannot truly be themselves in a mixed-gender rehab program. At Arkview Recovery, our men’s rehab program focuses on the issues that worry men the most. We give men impacted by addiction a better chance to reach and maintain their sobriety.
Issues Impacting Men Struggling With Addiction
Often, men feel pressured to turn to drugs or alcohol to cope with stressors like work or school. They could also use these substances to cope with internal feelings such as inadequacy, fear, or anxiety. Men are often less likely to be “allowed” to share their feelings, seek treatment, and go to therapy. This is very evident in the suicide rate for men, especially those in their 20s and 30s. It’s incredibly imperative to seek treatment before it’s too late.
Therapy and other programs often focus on the trials of women, and many messaging, such as in media, movies, and books, shows that women are the only victims of crimes such as sexual assault, childhood abuse, or any variety of trauma. This is absolutely false. Men also experience these things. For many, it’s much more comfortable to undergo a rehab program with their peers.
5 Benefits of Men’s Rehab Center
Men’s rehab can allow certain men to express themselves wholly in a comfortable environment. The benefits of recovery for men include:
- Improved Communication — Most men were not taught how to express their feelings fully. You will learn how to communicate openly with other men and begin discovering the root cause of your addiction.
- Fewer distractions — Some men find it distracting to be around people of other genders, especially women. Especially when it comes to being honest about their struggles, the best form of therapy happens when there are no external distractions to take your focus away.
- Build stronger male relationships — Sharing your feelings or trauma with others is highly therapeutic and beneficial in breaking your addiction. The men in your group therapy sessions will help you overcome your fears and help you reach your goals. During therapy, the relationships you build will stay with you for life and will be a robust support system for maintaining your sobriety.
- Focus on male-related issues — Through one-on-one and group therapy, a men’s rehab program will focus solely on men’s issues and how they relate to addiction. Listening to other men talk about their struggles will help you feel more comfortable opening up about your problems.
- A safe environment — A men’s-only rehab program creates a safe and nurturing environment. Here you can open up and talk about your issues without fear of ridicule or mocking. Everyone around you will help you complete the program and maintain sobriety.
The benefits of a men’s rehab center cannot be understated. For some people, a men’s rehab program can be beneficial.
Arkview Recovery Center Gender-Specific Rehab for Men
Arkview Recovery Center’s gender-specific rehab program can help men overcome their addiction through individual and group behavioral therapy. In a men’s-only program, you will be free to discuss your addiction and its issues with other men in a warm and comforting environment. If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction and want a men’s-only rehab program, contact Arkview Recovery at 717.744.0756 today to learn more about our men’s rehab program.